Music therapy is the skillful use of music and musical elements by an accredited music therapist to promote, maintain, and restore mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Music has nonverbal, creative, structural, and emotional qualities, and these are used in the therapeutic relationship to facilitate contact, interaction, self-awareness, learning, self-expression, communication, and personal development.
What is offered at Louis Brier?There are a wide range of Music Therapy programs offered at Louis Brier that meet the diverse needs and abilities of the residents living here. This includes one-on-one individualized sessions and small to large group programs. Louis Brier is equipped with a variety of unique instruments including Djembes, Tone Chimes, Maracas, Harp, Tongue Drum, Kalimba and Xylophones.
Benefits of Music Therapy:
- Maintaining expressive and receptive communication skills
- Access long and short-term memory
- Behaviour management
- Reducing isolation and improving social skills
- Enhance learning skills
- Increase self-expressions
- Managing grief and bereavement
- Transitioning at end of life