INFLUENZA-LIKE-ILLNESS (ILI) OUTBREAK (March 12, 2020)
Louis Brier Home and Hospital have residents who have been exhibiting flu like symptom, and as a result, they have been tested on March 9, 2020. The 3 specimens submitted to BCCDC resulted NEGATIVE for COVID-19, Influenza A, Influenza B, and RSV. As residents exhibit respiratory symptoms, we will submit samples as appropriate. As residents exhibit respiratory symptoms, we will submit samples as appropriate.
Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Outbreak control measures are still in effect at this time.
Please help us minimize the risk for our residents and staff:
- Do NOT come to visit if you are not feeling well or if you have any respiratory or gastro-intestinal illness. If you have symptoms and an urgent visit is necessary (e.g. due to rapidly declining health status of a resident) please arrange with us in advance by calling the Infection Control Practitioner at 604-267-4698 or email email@example.com so we can prepare and provide you with the necessary protective equipment to protect the health of others in our facility, and provide you with clear instructions.
- Limit your visit to a single resident, wherever possible, and go directly to the resident’s room.
- We recommend NOT to visit if you have recently (within 14 days) travelled from countries where there are confirmed cases and active spread of COVID-19. It is better to self-isolate for 14 days while self-monitoring for symptoms.
- We are implementing strict screening measures for our visitors. We will request you to fill out the Screening Tool upon entry to our facility.
- If you can defer your visits at this time, we recommend that you do so. You can utilize technology for video calls, if possible, to minimize social contact.
- Do not pass through the Weinberg Residence when going in and out of Louis Brier as the Weinberg is NOT on outbreak precautions.
- Hand hygiene is still the single most effective way to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and Influenza. Please sanitize your hands upon entry and exit.
- We are experiencing high volumes of calls, voicemail messages, and emails regarding our outbreak status, we may not be able to respond to you immediately and hope that you will understand. We will regularly provide information through our website (www.louisbrier.com).
- If you have an urgent concern about the health status of a resident, please call the Nursing unit directly and speak with the Nurse-in charge.
- Here are some links for more information:
- BC Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-professionals/clinical-resources/novel-coronavirus-(covid-19)
- Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Definition of affected area: http://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/health-professionals/covid-19-affected-areas-list.html
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Let’s all work together to keep our residents (and everyone who cares for them) safe and healthy.