The Influenza Outbreak in 2nd Floor of Louis Brier Home and Hospital has been declared OVER by the Medical Health Officer as of 10:00am, April 1, 2019.
Since the flu season is not over yet, we need everyone’s assistance to minimize exposures and prevent transmission of the highly communicable viruses.
You can make a difference by doing the following:
- Be meticulous with your hand hygiene. Alcohol-based hand rub is the preferred product for hand hygiene unless hands are visibly soiled and/or you are working with known/suspect C. difficile or Norovirus
- Do not come to work ill and follow LBHH policies on attendance and sick leave
- Isolate residents with gastrointestinal or respiratory illness thought to be infectious, as soon as symptoms start
- Immediately place any suspected influenza-like illness (ILI) or norovirus cases on infection prevention & control measures (e.g. isolation precautions, dedicated equipment, & wear appropriate PPE for any interactions)
- Place the appropriate precaution sign outside the resident’s door and notify CNL’s and Infection Control Practitioner so they may monitor and advise Medical Health Officer
- Do not share finger foods from common containers (e.g. popcorn, chips, unwrapped candies)
- If you have elected to wear a mask instead of receiving a flu vaccination, you must wear the mask anytime you are in the care facility. Change mask whenever moist. If you touch the mask on your face, immediately do hand hygiene
Thank you very much for your patience, diligence and cooperation in effectively containing the outbreak!